Cleaning a carpet is not always an easy task. You not only need to clean the surface from stains, spills, and dirt but you also need to make sure that the carpet is free from unpleasant odors that may have attached themselves to it. One type of odor that some carpet owners have to deal with is cigarette smoke. Cigarette smoke odors can easily be avoided by just not smoking in the house. But for those that might choose to ignore that simple rule or for homeowners that may be renting their property, cigarette odor in carpet can be a very unpleasant environment to be around. Fortunately, removing this type of odor from your carpet is actually not that difficult as long as you follow a few basic techniques.
Here are the steps that you need to take to deodorize cigarette smoke odors from your carpet.
· To remove cigarette smoke odors from your carpet you are going to need a lot of baking soda. Baking soda is a great product for removing odors from many things such as shoes and rugs. The beauty of baking soda is that it is also very affordable. And that’s a good thing because you’re going to need a good amount of it.
· Next, find an empty baby powder or talcum powder container, or any type of container with several small holes at the top for openings. You will be using this to sprinkle the baking soda over the carpet. You can always just open the top of the baking soda box and sprinkle it from there also.
· Once you have your materials ready, walk around the area and sprinkle the baking soda all over your carpet. Spread an ample, even layer all over, making sure to pay close attention to the areas where most of the odor is emanating.
· Once you have sprinkled a generous layer of baking soda over your carpet, use a straw broom to spread the baking soda evenly. This will help to work the baking soda into the carpet. Once you have done this, leave the baking soda overnight. This will allow it time to absorb and neutralize the smoke odor from the carpet.
· The next day, simply use a vacuum cleaner to extract all of the baking soda from your carpet. The odor should disappear with the baking soda.
Dealing with cigarette smoke does not have to be a frustrating experience. Just follow these simple tips and you should have a fresh smelling carpet in no time.